Friday, January 05, 2007

Seconding Herbert Spencer: Survival of the Fittest

The burning galaxy, the cosmic life
Have sheltered me, I wonder that I am alive !
The limitless time - its ups and downs
Flows in my blood, with pulsating sounds
I wonder that I am around !!
-- Rabindra Nath Tagore (Nobel Laureate)

Budapest, 5th Jan 2007
The Valley was a treat to the eyes. I gazed at it for hours from the foothills, the evening before. Snow was such a great fancy till i witnessed it from the peak of the hilly domes of Donovaly. The elevation of 1402 metres looks steeper than it was ever before. The cold weather sent chills down my spine though I was equipped with the warmest of ski-clothings to beat the snow. There i was, at a height of 1402 metres at Park Snow Skiing Resort, Donovally, Slovakia; with my skiing kit on, waiting to slide down the slope in the blink of an eye. My only consolation were Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary who conquered Mt. Everest, 7 times higher than the elevation I was about to slide down. After them, no one has bothered to keep a count of how many climbers rose to that feat. But, nothing beats the excitement of this first time skier who has just set foot to conquer Donovaly after a 2 hr paid training by local recruits. It's a mixed emotion that has been restrained for quite sometime. And now it's time to let it go. It's like a River which cautiously goes through every turn and bend when it sets foot on to the plains after knocking off undulating terrains for miles altogether. It's not just about setting foot cautiously, its also about exhilaration, the unadulterated joy of invading new territories, newer lands and foremost doing something, the feeling of which has been alien so long. The river feels it, same does this rookie skier.

The fear, the thrill, juxtaposed with never-before-experienced fun was seeping in to me. I didn't travel all the way from Budapest to Slovakia to turn my face off this enticing slope, which several skiers are gliding through as though it was a cakework. What do I fear? I have heard no one dying in a Skiing resort. Accidents? It can happen even when i am carelessly breaking stairs at home. In a matter of just a few minutes, i figured out that I have held up this fear within me for nothing. So it was high time that I started living dangerously. For a moment I felt as though I would prefer getting married than to try Skiing. But i remembered one of my good buddies telling me that getting married was not "that bad", and I felt neither was Skiing. So to nurse my hurting Male ego, to charm my fellow friends, to save space in this post of my blog and more importantly on "Public Demand", I let it go. I never really counted down for the New Year to arrive. Though this time, i was no inferior to the NASA countdown for a shuttle launch.
5....4....3....2....1.... and "Say Cheese", oops!! Sorry, should be "Go".

I can hear the sounds of violins
Long before it begins
Make me thrill as only you know how
Sway me smooth, sway me now
only You know how
Sway me smooth, sway me now

-- Lyrics from 'Sway', by Dean Martin

A few start-up hiccups and I was sailing smooth. Precariously cutting through tracks jotted down by the previous skiers, swinging and swaying. I was using every bit of my Ski kit rented from Budapest. I got a feeling like Skiing must be easier than Wind sailing. At least you don't need to watch out for your 1 ton sails.

In this Freezing cold, I was sweating profusely. Think, i should have done a bit more exercise of the legs before I came here. My legs are already paining, my hamstrings giving up. I am unable to control my speed. I am getting second thoughts on if it was an absolute necessity to call quits to the comfort of my cosy home at Budapest and come 200 Kms into Slovakia to encounter an imminent mishap. Things really seem getting worse than i could have ever imagined. I went on dodging small heaps of snow and reached more populated areas. There is no way i am stopping. Not that i don't feel like. But because at this hour of crisis, I don't recall anything from my Skiing Training. The crowd is nearing with every passing moment. Other Skiers are getting cautious of me approaching them. Some have already started dispersing at my sight. Who is that guy, bit obscure in a little distance? Why is he not running haywire like others? Is he not looking? Or is he a rookie like me? Or may be he wants to help me from the danger by coming in my way. Its getting late to think or discover things. I am within a few feet.......

(Distinct Clutter in the background)

BUMP...SPLASH...PLOD....THUDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

(2 Mins later)
I survived unhurt. Not even a scratch in my body. How is that possible? But i can feel the sweating, my heart pounding. I lied dumbfound, my Ski-Clothings have vanished. Good God, what just happened to me?
I discovered that i was having a Nightmare. I am turning Insomniac in anticipation of my Skiing trip to Slovakia. It's only Friday, the 5th of Jan, still a week to go for the D-day. But every night takes its toll on me.


(3 Weeks Ago)

My DB Administrator, Jozsef Jasfalvi came up to me asking if i was willing to join them for Skiing between 12th-15th Jan 2007. I was ready to take my chances. Especially, i am this adventurous type, who would go to any length to break a limb, so that i can relax at home for a month. :-) (Is this guy, Sick??)
My CIO called me up during Christmas and encouraged me to join the rest of the team for Skiing. There is no looking back now. Anytime i raise this concern with my team, they cheer me up; conceal the dangers of skiing like anything. I had no idea that people utter these many white lies to find scapegoats.

(2 Weeks Ago)

Posted 8:42 p.m. EST, December 24, 2006
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger recuperated at his home in Sun Valley, Idaho, on Sunday, a day after he broke his right leg while skiing.

-- Picked up from http://www.cnn.com

This was enough to keep me panicked during the whole of Christmas. The whole city was sleeping; i couldn't share my concerns with anyone. I was suffocating with fear and anticipation.

(Yesterday)

The whole bunch of us went out to rent the Ski-Kits. The Boots, Skis, Ski Bindings, Helmets and everything else that make you so heavy that you can barely move. I believe that the "Medieval Age Knights" looked slimmer than us trying our Ski-Kits. I met Peter, my good old buddy. He is joining us too. I found out that a few people in the group were rookie like me. I got a few souls on my side of the game too. I teamed up with these guys and announced proudly saying that "We will keep ourselves restricted to less steeper slopes. That way, we can avoid accidents". Peter emerged out of nowhere, never seen him so spontaneous before. He uttered "It doesn't matter, some rookie like you, may crash in to you".
He enquired if i had insurance. GOD!! I totally missed it. I don't have insurance outside Hungary. He blew the air out of everything. Till now i was feeling SUFFOCATED, now it feels someone has just STRANGLED me.

(Today)

Since yesterday's events, i am mentally preparing for a sure disaster in the week ahead. Since morning, i have allotted 2-3 men enquiring about insurance with the obscurest travel agents of Budapest. I am gobbling wikipedia about how to Ski, importantly how to Stop!!
One of my project leaders have been very helpful. He Googled a list of the most recent accidents that have occurred on Ski resorts. I wish he stopped there. He sent me the address to a website which was providing paid lawyer services to fight lawsuits involving skiing accidents. Here is an excerpt

Montana Skiing Accident Lawyer
Though snow skiing and other winter sports are exciting and fun for the whole family, accidents do happen. In many cases, these accidents are the result of a resort or individual failing to properly post signs and warnings or failing to properly monitor conditions, or the improper design of ski runs or ski lifts and other essential machinery. If you have been injured in a ski accident, we will work hard to help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.

-- picked up from
Foust Buckley P.C is a major law firm in the US. Skiing Accidents is only one area of their practice.
Their motto is "Committed to helping good people during difficult times"

I think i represent good people, and i am going through really difficult times.

Today, i was almost confirming my payment to an insurance company who was willing to insure my trip. At my back someone just reminded me, "Do they insure against AVALANCHES?". I figured out that no one can save me. I will be the first person to lay down my life for the cause of Skiing. Promise, it feels nothing less than "Martyrdom".

Every morning starts with the same jitter and I go to sleep with the same insane fear. Every day i get new recommendations about finding lawyers, filling lawsuits, getting insurances, avoiding avalanches. Someone is yet to tell me about YETI or a SNOWMAN. But i guess, they are only found in the Himalayas. Who knows they might have migrated sometime. I have a strong belief, anything can happen to make my life, a living hell. Till now, every day i hear the same gibberish from my Colleagues.

(Indistinct sounds at the back)
Cheer-Leader1: pras, its gonna be safe
Cheer-Leader2: hehe
Cheer-Leader3: he is our expert rookie
Cheer-Leader1: you will be expert after the training.
Cheer-Leader2: Arnie Schwarzenegger was skiing in.....
.......
.......
.......
.......
.......

The story continues........

Did you think I'd crumble
Did you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, not i
I will survive
As long as I know how to love
I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
I've got all my love to give
And I'll survive
I will survive
I will survive...!
-- lyrics from "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor

--- The author has a very unbiased view on skiing. He still wishes to go skiing and get a real life taste of what it feels like being a POLAR BEAR or a HARP SEAL.

(Trivia)
Skiing is one of the few words in the English language that contains two "i"s in a row.


3 comments:

Survon said...

oh man...the only think i can say is 'Good luck!'. I tried skiing once, and that should be the last as well.

Don't worry. I'm sure it's safer than skating. At least you'll just break your limbs. Resting a month at home with a broken limb doesn't sound bad at all. But I certainly hope you won't have to do so.

Anonymous said...

It's a very funny post. You have good talent in writing. You created a scary situation and later turned it in to a funny one. All these out of nothing big, huh!! Good Work Man!! Enjoy your Skiing trip though :-)
All the Best!!
Celin

Unknown said...

Fantastic imagination ! I understand your fears, it is a big challange for you. You can try something what can others only dream.

I think, you will enjoy it ! When I learnt it last year and was 25, I was beating my head at the table, why I didn't begin with this excellent entertainment earlier. And now I don't mean only the skiing, but friends, fun, their help, because mountains come friends together and make new.